Miscarriage, also known as spontaneous abortion and pregnancy loss, is the natural death of an embryo or fetus before it is able to survive independently. Risk factors for miscarriage include aged parent, having previous miscarriage, heavy smoking, obesity, diabetes, thyroid problems, drug or alcohol use, etc. It was estimated that approximately 80% of miscarriages occur in the first 12 weeks of pregnancy (the first trimester). The risk of miscarriage increase with age, as it is about 10% for those under 35 years old, and about 45% for those over 40. For those over 45, the chance to carry pregnancy into full term is just about 5-10%.
After miscarriage, women often experience both physical and emotional distress like sadness, anxiety, deperssion, guilt, hurt, lonely, helpless, etc. Unfortunately the less support the women receive after miscariage, the more difficult it is for the next pregnancy to be success. Whether receive or not this support, for those who do not give up hope to have baby, it is very important to recover and prepare again for a more successful pregnancy.
TRADITIONAL CHINESE MEDICINE DIAGNOSIS
From Traditional Chinese medicine perspective, there are several patterns that can cause miscarriage.
- Blood- Qi deficiency: this is commonly happen in women with medical history of lack of periods, policystic ovaries. Symptoms include dizzines, pale lip and tongue, insomnia.
- Blood stasis: observed in women with endometriosis, blokkage of the falllopian tube, ovarian cysts, fibroid in the womb, infection in cervix, vagina and fallopian tibes. Symptoms are often cold limbs, pain in the lower abdomen
- Blood Heat: it is common reason of threaten miscarriage and miscarriage. Symptoms can spot bleeding, sleeping problems, rash skin, thirsty
- Kidney Jin deficiency: observed in women with poor diet, overwork, inadequate sleep and exercise, chronic diseases. Symptoms are including night sweating, dry mouth and skin, feeling heat in palm and sole, lower back pain
- Kidney Jang deficiency: observed in women with excessive heavy physical work, early abortion, irregular menstrual bleeding. Symptoms are cold limbs, frequent night urination, diarrhea, continuos tiredness.
- Spleen deficiency: always feel sleepy, sleep heavily, loose stools, frequent vaginal discharge
- Liver Qi stagnation: often seen in women with anxiety, stress, anger, unstable mood.
Acupuncture for miscarriage aims to support the women recover from miscarriage both in physical and mental health. It stimulate the body energy, the blood flow to the uterus, optimize the women’s health for the next pregnancy. These are some effect of Acupuncture which play important role for treating miscarriage:
- Correcting and rebuilding a healthy uterine lining (endometrium).
- Correcting the immune functions, reduce inflammation and infection.
- Restore the hormone balances,
- Reduce stress, depression and other negative emotion.
Obviously these effects take time to achieve and maintain. How long it takes depending on the women’s health status, age, and the underlying cause of miscarriage. We often recommend to have at least 10 acupuncture treatments, and at least 3 months before you plan to get pregnant again.
For threatened miscarriage: It should be noted, that if the miscarriage is caused by genetic or chromosomal problems of the embryo, then acupuncture cannot help. Acupuncture only effectively treat those cases in which miscarriage have other causes such as hormon problems, auto immune problem, stress, or constitutional problem. Bleeding during pregnancy is not uncommon but it is common risk of miscarriage. Acupuncture help restore the hormon balance, reduce the uterus spasm (calm it down), reduce bleeding and therefore support the fetus development.
For recurrent miscarriage: Recurrent miscarriage is usually defined as having had 3 or more miscarriages in a row, even if you have had a healthy pregnancy before. Acupuncture often help correct the hormon imbalances. It also can help reduce side effects of pharmaceutical treatment like anxiety, sleep problems, headache, migraine, digestive problems.
For emotional relief: Emotion problems are inevitable after miscarriage, and it is sometimes very difficult to overcome. Remember, that negative emotion can affect badly to the success of the next pregnacy. That is why it is necessary to have emotional relief by counselling, psychological support. Acupuncture also can help reduce emotional tense (stress, depression, sleeping problems) so that you can get out of them faster and comeback to normal life.
WE OFFER ACUPUNCTURE TREATMENT FOR MISCARRIAGE
If you would like to consult about acupuncture treatment, we are very pleased to help. Book an appointment at:
Vietkimhong Clinic, Budapest 1051, Arany János street 33, 1. floor, doorbell 127
Dr Nguyen Hong, Tel: +36 70 943 1878
Tuesday and Saturday, 8:00 a.p – 5:00 p.m