Acupressure is an ancient Chinese healing method which concentrates on specific energy channels in the body called as meridians. In this treatment the physical pressure is applied at various points upon body’s energy meridians with the aim to balance or clearing the blockages in these meridians. Pressure may be applied by fingers, palms, by elbow or by using other devices.
Research has shown that migraines are relieved by acupressure because it improves circulation, relieves stress and tension and possibly releases the body’s natural pain killers called endorphins. Some medical studies have proposed that acupressure may be effective at helping reduce nausea and vomiting.
Some of the acupressure points to relieve the migraine pain
1. Massage between the eyebrows and above the bridge of the nose
2. Massage the Temples
3. Massage the back of the neck
4. Massage between the big and second toes
5. Massage the point in the fold between the thumb and forefinger
6. Massage the point in on the wrist that lies in line with the thumb